On January 20, 2021, Biden introduced an immigration bill to Congress. As introduced, the bill would give a path to citizenship to 11 million undocumented immigrants currently living in the United States.
The U.S. Citizenship Act of 2021 establishes a new system to responsibly manage and secure our border, keep our families and communities safe, and better manage migration across the Hemisphere.
The U.S. Citizenship Act would:
PROVIDE PATHWAYS TO CITIZENSHIP & STRENGTHEN LABOR PROTECTIONS
- Create an earned roadmap to citizenship for undocumented individuals.
- Keep families together.
- Embrace diversity.
- Promote immigrant and refugee integration and citizenship.
- Grow our economy.
- Protect workers from exploitation and improve the employment verification process.
PRIORITIZE SMART BORDER CONTROLS
- Supplement existing border resources with technology and infrastructure.
- Manage the border and protect border communities.
- Crack down on criminal organizations.
ADDRESS ROOT CAUSES OF MIGRATION
- Start from the source.
- Improve the immigration courts and protect vulnerable individuals.
- Support asylum seekers and other vulnerable populations.